Credit Report Blog
Website CertifiedPrivacy Protected

Easy Ways to Correct Errors on Your Credit Report

By Ruth Racey
Published: Sunday, July 11th, 2010

There is no doubt that your credit report has a lot of impact on your credit score. An incorrect credit report can cause your score to be adversely affected and this can cause a lot of problem when you are applying for a loan. In order to correct your report there are a few things that have to be kept in mind so that the report is corrected as soon as possible. This article will tell you about a few easy ways to get errors corrected on your credit report. 

Get Access to All The Reports 

There are 3 companies that handle credit reporting and each of these companies doesn’t share information with the other. The first step to do is to get your free annual report from all the three companies and to check all three reports carefully. The three companies that will send you the reports are Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. For any reason if the system at the website of Annual Credit Report does not allow you to apply for the reports then you will need to fax or post proof of your ID, driving license and utility bill with your current address along with a letter requesting access to the credit bureau. 

Begin the Dispute by Contacting The Credit Bureau  

While filing for a credit report dispute it is always recommended to contact the credit bureau first. In order to file a dispute you will need to post a photo copy of the faulty report along with photocopies of bills, installments or other things that are in question. You should send the documents by certified mail to the bureau so that you know if they have received your letter or not. A representative from the Bureau will get in touch with you within 30 days after the dispute letter has been received by them. 

Contact the Creditor While Contacting the Bureau 

While sending the documents to the credit department you should also send photocopies of the documents to the creditor in question. You should include a letter with the documents stating what entry you are disputing and why. 

After the Bureau gets in touch with you they will either accept the dispute or reject the claim. If they accept the dispute then you will need to ask them for a corrected credit report and you will also need to ask them to send corrected reports to all the creditors who have received the report in the last 6 months.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment