Credit Questions & Answers
Website CertifiedPrivacy Protected
Questions & Answers > Identity Theft > What to do if you become a victim of identity theft?

What to do if you become a victim of identity theft?

By Derek Brown
Published: Sunday, October 11th, 2009

When our personal information is stolen by somebody and our identity is assumed by the person then it is referred to as identity theft. This crime is growing at a tremendous speed around the globe nowadays, even though each individual is trying their best to protect their privacy.

With the help of new identification the thief has the ability to live a fortune in your name. They can easily open new bank accounts, file an application for loans and mortgages, and swindle money along with committing various other crimes in your identity. Such actions have a huge impact on every facet of your life from going for a new job to a loan. Id thieves have the full potential to run your life in a mess by destroying your credit along with your reputation.

What to do if you become a victim of identity theft?

If you believe that you have become a victim of identity theft then double up on the following procedure before the scammer ruins your credit completely. To begin with do not enter into any kind of contact with the scammer, they can be perilous criminals. You can harm yourself along with being killed by the swindlers.

Get in touch with the authorities of the monetary institution tell them to be vigilant along with having an eye on any unusual activity. Take their advice on whether you should cease your dealing with that account as well as open a new savings account.

Another crucial step that you can take is contacting the scam department of all three credit bureaus to place a hoax vigilant call on your credit report. With this you will be consulted prior to opening of new accounts or changing anything in your current accounts. For registration of an affidavit render each of the company with your driving license copy.

In case you have disclosed your passport number or forwarded a copy of your driving license then make sure you get hold of a new copy as soon as possible by explaining the official authorities what really happened. Make a call to the Social Security Administration along with other creditors with whom you make dealings and bring them to their notice about your entire situation.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.